Wednesday, September 2, 2009

He's Off!


Today was a defining moment in my life as we dropped Kevin off at the MTC. Although I have planned for and hoped for this day for all of Kevin's life, I was not prepared for how it felt to say goodbye to him for 2 years. Kevin is so much a part of me. I can't imagine how it will be not to be able to talk to him except through letters. I can't imagine him living in a foreign country and speaking a different language. When I wake up in the morning, he'll be finishing his day. I'll go on eating the same food, interacting with the same people, and sleeping in the same bed every night. He'll be doing none of those things!



Last night was physically painful. My chest ached every time I took a breath and if anyone even looked my way, tears welled up in my eyes. I'm so excited for the opportunities for growth before him, but it's hard to think that I'm sending away my boy, and he's going to come back a man. I've loved having him as my little boy, and I'm going to miss that forever.




Little Johnny is going to miss his brother! They have become fast friends in the few months that Kevin has been home from college. When Kevin comes back, Johnny will be a bouncing 2 1/2 year old. When Johnny is old enough for a mission, Kevin will be the age I am now! (Isn't that a sobering thought!)

We couldn't love you any more than we do, Kevin. Have a great mission!

2 comments:

  1. So proud of Kevin, but it is so hard! I might have to sneak a video of Oliver's prayers for the last couple of nights. They are so heartfelt and genuine as he gets chocked up and asks Heavenly Father to please bless him that he'll be safe when he's so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll really miss kevin, too. just knowing he's so far will be hard, but he will be in our prayers also, and I have a feeling my kids are really going to want to send him letters and drawings. send his address our way!!

    ReplyDelete